This course is designed to provide corrections staff, volunteers, and contractors with Prison Rape Elimination Act (PREA) refresher training that work in Adult City, County, State, Federal, and Tribal Correctional Facilities.
This course covers the following PREA Standards:
- §115.11 – Zero tolerance of sexual abuse and sexual harassment; PREA coordinator
- §115.15 – Limits to cross-gender viewing and searches
- §115.16 – Inmates with disabilities who are limited English proficient
- §115.31 – Employee training
- §115.51 – Inmate reporting
- §115.52 – Exhaustion of administrative remedies
- §115.53 – Inmate access to outside confidential support services
- §115.54 – Third-party reporting
- §115.64 – Staff first responder duties
- §115.82 – Access to emergency medical and mental health services
As a pre-requisite, all attendees should have completed a full PREA Initial Employee training course to have a good basic understanding of PREA.
A certificate is generated upon completion. This course will take an estimated 45 minutes to complete.
In this course we cover the following topics:
- Zero Tolerance Policy
- Dynamics of Sexual Abuse in Detention
- Detecting Signs of Sexual Abuse
Effects of Abuse
- Common Reactions to Abuse
- Responding to Victimized Inmates
Professional Communication and Boundaries
- Professional Communication
- Appropriate Interactions
- Compromised Professionalism
- Reasonable Privacy Does Not Compromise Security
- Housing Unit Announcements
- Pat and Strip Searches
Ways Inmates Can Report
- Multiple Ways Inmates Can Report
- Third-Party Reporting
- Reporting from Segregation
Inmate Support Services
- Support Services
- What Services Are Provided?
Helping Inmates Who Primarily Speak Another Language
- Can and Inmate Provide Interpretation?
- Who Can Provide Interpretation
- Tips for Speaking with Inmates Who Do Not Speak English Well